My hat WAS basically done, but I had to go and fiddle with it because I wasn’t quite happy.
- My gauge was a bit small, so the hat fit was a bit tight. Maybe I should have blocked it first, but I decided to slowly feed in some extra yarn to loosen it up. That took many hours.
- It was just a TEENSY bit short for me, which is once again a gauge issue. So…. I decided to rip out the ribbing at the bottom so I could add some more length. BAD IDEA. I didn’t know this, but ripping back ribbing from the cast-on edge is a terrible undertaking. Here’s a link explaining why ( I looked it up AFTER I attempted it and made a mess of my knitting. I then resorted to the method of snipping the row above the ribbing and slowing removing that row.)
So overall, I’m thinking that I could have knit the hat all over again in the same time it’s taking to “fix” it. And I’m not even surprised.
I hope everyone state-side had a delicious and joyful Thanksgiving!
My Thanksgiving with family was absolutely wonderful. I was able to spend almost five days with my two adorable nephews, and I loved playing with them and holding them.
And it warmed my knitter’s heart to see them in their hand-knit sweaters! I was happy to finally see them wear the sweaters, and make sure they weren’t too small. They were a bit too large, but hopefully that means they can wear them throughout the winter before they grow out of them. (Sorry, no pictures, I know my brother and sister-in-law don’t like to put their kids pictures on the internet, and I respect their decision.)
Shockingly, I haven’t knit at all over the past six days. I was plenty busy hanging with family, and the projects I brought with me weren’t tempting enough. (Those darn red socks, I am torn between ripping them back and starting again, or continuing on and just seeing what happens.) But, I did work on my fair isle hat before I left, and it’s almost finished.
It’s His and Hers Reflection Hat by Melissa Leapman, and made with Cascade 220 Superwash wool.
Unfortunately, I ignored my gauge instincts and just dove into the hat, but it looks a bit small. I think I’m getting more like 5 1/2 stitches per inch, when I should be getting 5 stitches per inch. We’ll see if it will block out, or if I’ll rip it back and try again.